These are quick join instructions – to better understand what the benefits are, click here for a more thorough introduction
- Click here to request the Bot add you to the “Resistance Detroit Green Room” chat. This will allow us to confirm your faction and brief you on how the team works. Not a lot of pressure here, but we just want to do a basic check so Enlightened agents don’t get automatically added to our hangouts. You will have to provide basic permissions for google+ access, but only the basic identifying information is asked for, which the bot needs in order to add your hangout. IF you have multiple g+ accounts, be sure to log in with the one you want to use for hangouts. (those with multiple Ingress Accounts are not welcome in our community, but many people have different google profiles for business/home/etc, this is OK)
- In the new chat, introduce yourself.
- Upon approval, you will be added to our “Smurflings” chat. This is an unvetted agent/training hangout. Any questions are okay here! Just be aware that discussing things like large operation plans, locations of house/work portals, and “guardian” portals. We haven’t met all these people in person, and cannot vouch for their allegiance to the game or the Resistance cause.
- At this point you’ll begin to learn the game, and how to play as a team. While Ingress can and often is played as an individual, team play adds an exciting dynamic, and as you get closer to Level 8, you’ll find that you need teammates to work together to build portals over Level 5. Coordinating builds (or what we call “Flash Farming”) of these portals lets them be built quickly, and to a higher level than even a single Level 16 player can build themselves. The level of gear you get depends on your level, AND the level of the portal. It takes 8 level 8+ players to build a level 8 portal, so building trust and contacts is crucial to your long term success in the game.
- After this, as you level up, you will meet in person with highly trusted agents. We’re not going to come creep on your house or anything, but in the course of playing you typically meet teammates as well as members of the opposing faction in person. There are highly trusted individuals who have played for the resistance for substantial times (one may say they “bleed blue”). As you level up and build the trust of one or more of these players, you may be pulled into local hangouts, communities and private conversations to work together to coordinate in game activity and build friendships. Most communities in the community are ad-hoc (created by the players themselves as they see it necessary) and while it would be accurate to describe many of them as “cliques” or “social circles”, they are strongly encouraged to be inclusive of all players who play in the relevant areas provided they are trustable and drama free. Each hangout/community has a shared goal: The domination of the Resistance faction in the Detroit region, and beyond.
- Once you reach Level 8, and are met in person by highly trusted agents, you are eligible for inclusion in our Detroit-wide Slack instance. The exact name of this Slack and its contents and membership roster are considered secret, but being here allows you to quickly request contacts in other parts of the Detroit region and beyond. Interaction in Slack can be done through a web browser, through desktop applications and cellphone apps for both iOS and Android. Asking things like “I’m coming down to Dearborn for the afternoon is there a great place to farm/do missions/etc” is possible here, as it contains hundreds of agents in the region, who know (because you are in the Slack) that you are a trusted agent and a team player, and are likely to work with you quickly to help. There are also social channels to talk about the game, your pets, or anything else.